Everyone knows the most enviable asset a person can have is a flawless complexion. A good makeup job is key, but we’ll get to that another day. Here are some sauce-approved products that will help you achieve clear, glowing, HEALTHY skin, with or without makeup:
- Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash: a fabulous, regular-ass face wash for regular skin.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Foam: gives a healthy glow to all skin types.
- Clinique Liquid Facial Soap: A Clinique regimen has been my mother’s secret to perfect, youthful skin for decades now. If you saw my mother, you’d be at the Clinique counter in seconds.
- Skinceuticals Foaming Cleanser: Minimizes pores on all skin types. This is the brand/regimen I currently use. My esthetician at Bliss Spa in the W Hotel recommended it to me—I try to get a facial there every 4-6 weeks if I can afford it.
- Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser: Minimizes pores and leaves skin ridiculously soft. Plus it’s all warm and tingly!
- Bliss No Zit Shirlock Cleanser & Toner: For trouble skin.
- Panoxyl: Also ideal for trouble skin. Plus you can use this on your chest and back, for those who are prone to body breakouts. You can find this at CVS, Walgreens, etc. (Make sure you’re moisturizing adamantly and using SPF when using acne treatments!) Neutrogena also makes effective products for body breakouts.
- If you have super sensitive skin or other serious problems, go to any pharmacy and get Cetaphil products (they’re super gentle) and then go see a dermatologist!
Exfoliants: Unless you have congested pores, you don’t want to overdo it with exfoliants/scrubs. A harsh exfoliant can actually dry skin out, causing more congestion as opposed to fixing it. If you do struggle with blackheads, here are some exfoliants to consider—
- Clinique Exfoliating Scrub
- Bliss Pore Perfecting Facial Polish
- Skinceuticals Micro-Exfoliating Scrub
- Skinceuticals C + AHA exfoliant/antioxidant: A great alternative to scrubs.
- Skinceuticals Equalizing Toner: Great for all skin types.
- Clinique has a variety of Clarifying Lotion toners that are skin-type specific. Find the one that’s right for you!
- Bliss Steep Clean Matifying Toner Pads: For trouble skin.
Moisturizers: A major part of controlling skin issues like clogged pores is keeping skin hydrated. Drink as much water as you can, and check out the following moisturizers—
- Skinceuticals Daily Moisture and Boscia’s Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel are great basic moisturizers for maintaining tiny pores.
- Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel: A hydration boost for those who need it.
- bareMinerals makes a variety of Purely Nourishing moisturizers for different skin types that give skin a gorgeous glow.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen + C Energizing Cream
- You can’t really go wrong with Clinique moisturizers.
- Skinceuticals B5 Hydrating Masque is the ultimate thirst quencher for skin.
- Skinceuticals Clarifying Clay Masque is the best good-old-fashioned pore-minimizing mask I’ve ever used.
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask is the mask any Sephora employee is going to recommend, and they’re not wrong.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask: If you like the other products in Bliss’s Triple Oxygen line, this is the mask for you. Brightens skin in minutes.
- Bliss Steep Clean Mask: For Trouble Skin
Makeup Remover: I must admit, I don’t always take my makeup off before bed. I always regret it. Take your effing makeup off before bed.
- Clean & Clear and Almay both make great makeup-removing wipes that you can find at pretty much any pharmacy.
- Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes are gentle, AND a portion of the proceeds goes towards protecting polar bears!
- Clinique Take Off the Day Makeup Remover is ideal for eye makeup and lipstick that lingers.
- Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector: It does exactly what it promises to. There’s also a version with SPF, which is always a plus.
- Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum
- Josie Maran Argan Oil (a.k.a. Moroccan oil): A great extra surge of moisture for skin that also helps mend split ends and cuticles.
Although mixing and matching is okay to an extent, I’m sure you noticed that a lot of the same brands were repeated in each category. It’s best to find a brand that works for you and stick to that regimen. I also can’t emphasize this enough: protecting your skin from the sun is imperative. Use moisturizers and makeup with SPF all year round, and make sure you’re being cautious when using acne treatments.
Stay tuned for more beauty tips, and stay saucy!